Sunday, March 02, 2008

questions for a good day

This is a journal entry from January 2, 2007:



Today was a good day overall. I had spaghetti for lunch, and got into the
Word for a bit as well. I read Mark, where Jesus raises the girl from
the dead, and I think how crazy that is, and how I so badly want to see
stuff like that. Just some more incentive to continue in the Lord. I
watched some Scrubs also, which is a funny show, but the cynicism gets
to me. I went and picked up my mother from her school, and that was
pretty fun. I tried doing the dishes without complaining when she
asked, and was mostly successful. I really want to be more patient with
her and my dad as well, because if any earthly beings deserve my love
and respect, it is them. In a way I wish I had more time here in Jacksonville
,just to chill with them, but I do want to return to Tallahassee.I feel my heart settling in
there, with the town and people. It is hard having people you love in
different places, but I suppose your heart must be where your body is.
Ah, no this is not true... your heart must be in heaven, in eternity.
If your heart is set on what is eternal, it can be at once with
everyone, everywhere.
I pray I may have an eternal
perspective. This place is not my home.


As I read this now, over a year later, some questions present themselves. Am I too easily pleased? Is a nice bowl of spaghetti all it takes, and is that all I'm willing to strive for? But then isn't striving bad, pointless? If I love Tallahassee, why do I not show her my love; where is my service? What is the nature of "self improvement"? Is it waiting for the Lord only, or is it participatory, and if it is a combination, what is the balance?

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

prodigalsreturn said...

as humans, existing within times constraints, we have no choice but to be moving. so if we have to move we might as well strive.
paul talks about it.
"putting off what is behind, i press forward to the goal" (mbrt)
i think that God is please with our service because it gives us a sense of purpose.
not because it earns us brownie points, or merit badges, or gold stars, or extra candy
but because when we are serving we are most like Christ. we have him, so lets be like him.
i've heard it said that when a baby is born they look a little like their parents, but personally i think that is a little bit of a stretch. a baby looks like a lump of cute peach clay. but as the baby starts to age and mature they begin developing a family resemblance.
what is different with Christ? as we grow in him and in love and in service do we not look more like him?

contentment is not a bad thing.. as long as it's only in certain regards, which you know
for example, being content with where you are is no good because then you don't move

and now to quote mewithoutYou
"when they ask you for the sign of the Father in you tell them it's movement"

Anonymous said...

I like what Bryan said...

I think that there are moments when God wishes for us to be still and to take things in, but then, similar to what Bryan said, doing is more often than not essential in obeying...

Some interesting thoughts here, I wonder a lot too about my lack of involvement in anything outside school, church and bible studies...

stamati anagnostou said...

indeed, which is why i'm hesitant anymore about doing more christian groups like that. would i not be more beneficial serving the physical and spiritual needs of the hungry, rather than being fed? There is a place for that, but i feel i've been a glutton.

prodigalsreturn said...

"after years with that crown on my head i've grown overfed, unconcerned, and comfortably numb. kept busy indulging in the pleasures of the wealthy. oh! someone make me afraid of what i've become!"
-mewithoutYou
(hahaha)

hello!

My photo
Tallahassee, Florida
I am a 22 year old person. I currently am studying Buddhism and practicing Zen. I love my family quite a bit and want to learn more about what makes life a good thing.